Building & Construction Code Enforcement
About the Department
It is the responsibility of the Building Department to administer and enforce the Uniform Construction Code, State of New Jersey N.J.A.C.5:23 and Township Ordinances for all new and existing construction within the Township.
These responsibilities include the issuing of all construction permits for Building, Electrical, Plumbing and Fire applications and performing the required inspections for code compliance and then issuing the proper certificate once the project has been completed. These projects range from a residential deck to a new multi-story office building. It is the goal of the West Orange Building Department to ensure that all construction is code compliant for the safety and welfare of its residents and visitors.
NJ Division of Consumer Affairs - Homeowner Notice
Permits, Applications & Guidelines
- For some permits, prior zoning approval is required. Zoning approval is required for, but not limited to, the following:
- New Home Construction
- Outdoor Playsets
- Standby Power Generators
- Temporary Storage Containers
For zoning review, a copy of your property survey and if applicable, architectural plans to scale, must be submitted at time of application showing exact dimensions of work to be done.
- For permits, applications and guidelines, see the Department's Document Center.
- Homeowners/Contractors need to have their permit number readily available when requesting inspections.
Permits, Plans & Specifications Requirements:
- Homeowners/Contractors must post a true copy of the permit in a conspicuous location on the job site and keep the approved plans and specifications at the building site.
- Homeowners/Contractors will be subject to monetary penalties starting at $500 for failing to call for all rough and final inspections pertaining to code.