About the Internal Affairs Function
The West Orange Police Department is committed to providing quality services that are fair, effective, and impartially applied. It is in the best interests of everyone involved that your complaint is resolved fairly. The police department has formal procedures that ensure fairness and protect the rights of both citizens and police officers. The Internal Affairs Function is governed by State of New Jersey law, specifically NJSA 40A:14-181. The attorney general of the State of New Jersey has issued strict guidelines for police departments to follow in these matters. Because of the nature of administrative personnel investigations, the internal affairs process takes time. All internal affairs matters are kept confidential.
For more information, contact Lt. William Sayers at (973) 325-4010.
If you have an issue, your complaint will be sent to a superior officer or a specially trained internal affairs investigator for a thorough and objective investigation. Disciplinary hearings are closed to the public unless the defendant officer requests an open hearing. Possible results of a complaint:
- You may be asked to help the investigation by giving a detailed statement about what happened.
- If the investigation shows that a crime might have been committed, the county prosecutor will be notified, and you may be asked to testify in court.
- If the investigation results in an officer charged with violations of department policy, you might be asked to testify in a departmental hearing.
- If the investigation shows that the complaint is unfounded or that the officer acted properly, the matter will be closed.
View internal affairs resources:
- Anonymous Complaints 2nd Quarter 2020 Administrative Disposition
- Anonymous Complaints 1st Quarter 2020 Administrative Disposition
- Use of Force Summary Report Form 3rd quarter 2020
- Recruitment Annual Analysis 2019 (Completed 2020)
- Demographics 2020
- Annual Administrative Review Directive 1:9 (Bias Based Profiling Analysis)
- 2019 Use of Force Review
- Use of Force Summary Reports; 2019 2nd, 3rd, 4th quarterly reports and the 2020 1st quarterly report
- Internal Affairs and Disciplinary Process Annual Public Report- 2019
- Use of Force Summary Report 2018
- 2017 Internal Affairs Summary Report (PDF)
- 2017 Use of Force Summary Report (PDF)
- Personnel Commendation Form (PDF)
- Personnel Complaint Forms