What is considered minor work?

NJAC 5:23 - 2.17A (c)

1. Minor work shall mean and include the construction or total replacement of any porch or stoop which does not provide structural support for any roof or portion of a building; the construction or alteration of any rooms within an existing one or two-family dwelling, provided that no structural members are altered in any way; the removal and replacement of more that twenty-five percent (25%) of the exterior siding of a one or two-family dwelling;

2. Minor work shall also mean and include the replacement of any existing plumbing piping work with new and approved material of like capacity; the installation of drinking fountains and condensate drains in existing structures; the replacement of existing low-pressure hot water heaters with new ones of like capacity; and the new installation of lavatories, water closets, tubs, showers, washers or diswashers, and garbage disposers in existing space of one and two-family dwellings where the new installation of additional fixtures can be accommodated with no increase in the size of the water distribution system, water service or house drain;

3. Minor work shall also mean and include new electrical work incidental to the installation of air conditioning, equipment, clothes dryers, and ranges or ovens in one and two-family dwellings; the installation of five (5) or less 110 or 220 volt receptacles or fixtures where existing circuits and/or available space circuits and service are adequate to support the load; the replacement of existing wiring with new wiring of the same capacity provided that the new wiring shall be of a type approved for the use by the code;

4. Minor work shall also mean and include the installation of any fire detection or suppression device in any one or two-family dwelling; installation of a radon mitigation system in an existing detached one or two-family dwelling; the installation of a burglar alarm or security system in any structure and the installation of a low voltage communication system in any structure other than a one or two-family dwelling;

5. Minor work shall not include lead abatement;

6. Minor work on elevator devices shall also mean and include work as outlined below and not involving any structural alteration to a building and as scoped within the applicable sections of Part XII of ASME A17.1 referenced in the building sub-code.

Show All Answers

1. When do I need a building permit?
2. Where do I get building permits?
3. How many sets of drawings are required when submitting an application for building permits?
4. How much do building permits cost?
5. Who is responsible for obtaining a permit?
6. How long does it take to obtain a permit?
7. What hours can construction work be performed?
8. I own a single family residence; can I do my own construction work?
9. What is considered minor work?
10. When is a licensed contractor required?
11. If I need to dig on my property, what do I need to do?
12. When is a survey required for a building permit?
13. Can I obtain a copy of my property survey from the Township?
14. Should I be concerned about an oil storage tank when I am purchasing a home?
15. What permit is required to fill or remove an oil storage tank?
16. When am I subject to a fine?
17. Can a penalty be appealed?
18. What is the minimum required depth of footings?
19. When are railings required for steps on a building?
20. What is the required space needed between balusters?
21. What is the required minimum ceiling height to finish a basement?
22. Is it legal to have a bedroom in my basement?
23. What is required to install a swimming pool?
24. Do I need a permit to replace my water heater?
25. Do I need a permit to demolish my garage?
26. Can I make a living space out of my garage?
27. May I rent out a room in my single family house?
28. What should I do if I think my neighbor is doing construction without proper permits?
29. How do I find out if my home property is in a flood zone?
30. How do I find the block and lot number of my house?
31. Will my taxes go up if I build a deck?
32. Do I need a permit number when calling the Building Department for an inspection request?
33. Do I need a permit to remove a tree from my property?
34. Do I need a drawing sealed by a New Jersey licensed architect?
35. How can I contact a qualified Township inspector?
36. How do I know if an inspector is qualified to inspect my work?
37. Do I need a permit for a garage or yard sale?
38. Do I need a permit for a sign?
39. Where can I obtain a Township map?
40. Does the Township have a Historic Society?
41. How close to my property line can I build an above-ground pool?
42. How close to my property line can I build an in-ground pool?
43. What do I need to do if I want to put up a fence?
44. How can I find the zoning information for my property?
45. How close to my property line can I build a deck or addition?
46. Do I need a permit to install a shed on my property?
47. What is a Certificate of Continued Occupancy?
48. Can I install a driveway on my front lawn or a curcular driveway in front of my house?
49. What is the Planning Board and Zoning Board of Adjustment?
50. Where can I obtain a Planning or Zoning Board application?
51. Who do I contact if I have no heat in my home or apartment?