About the Planning Board
Established under the New Jersey Municipal Land Use Law, the Planning Board is a quasi-judicial body; meaning it operates similar to, but not as strictly as a court of law. When making decisions, the Board must take into consideration the Township Master Plan, New Jersey Municipal Land Use Law and case law.
The Planning Board is authorized to exercise power with regard to:
- Drafting and adopting the Master Plan for the Township;
- Reviewing subdivision and site plan applications for permitted uses;
- Reviewing conditional use applications;
- Drafting recommendations as to the zoning ordinance or amendments;
- Redevelopment Plan;
- "C" Variances under certain circumstances in connection with site plans and subdivisions;
- Housing Plan (Council on Affordable Housing).
The Planning Board consists of nine members and two alternates; all are Township residents:
- The Mayor (or alternate) (Class I);
- A Township Official (Class II);
- A Township Council member appointed by the Council (Class III);
- Six Township residents (Class IV) appointed by the Mayor, and two alternates appointed by the Mayor.
- These members shall hold no other municipal office. A member of the Historic Preservation Commission and the Environmental Commission may be a member of the Planning Board.
7:30 P.M. – Generally held on the 1st Wednesday of the month, Township Municipal Building, Council Chamber. All meetings are open to the public in accordance with the requirements of the "Open Public Meetings Act" (Sunshine Law).
Dr. Robert Bagoff- Chair
William B. WIlkes, II- Vice Chair
Lee D. Klein, PE, PTOE
Sal A. Jensen
Christopher Morgan, Sr.
Peter F. Smeraldo, Jr.
Tammy Williams- Council President
Planning Board Meeting Agendas & Minutes:
Applications and Permits:
- Applications and permits are available for download on the Department of Planning & Development Document Center.