The Juvenile Aid Bureau (JAB) has the authority to mandate juvenile violators to complete community service when appropriate.
- Conduct follow-up investigations on all reports involving juveniles.
- Process crime scenes, collect physical evidence, prepare criminal complaints, and file the same with the Superior Court of New Jersey, Chancery Division, Family Part, and Essex County.
- Meet with juveniles and their families in order to develop a plan to address inappropriate behavior of the juveniles and/or parents and develop a conflict resolution plan that is agreeable to both parties.
- Due to the confidential provisions of the Juvenile Code, the bureau is responsible for maintain its own records, separate and apart from the Central Record Bureau.
Juvenile Conference Committee
- Coordinate and schedule the West Orange Juvenile Conference Committee, which is a group of volunteers who make recommendations regarding the disposition on inappropriate behavior of our youth. The JCC has the authority to mandate juvenile violators to complete community service when appropriate.
Community Service Program
- Coordinate and supervise the Juvenile Community Service Program.
- Schedule juveniles to complete their mandatory hours at local sites and follow-up on their progress.
- Meet with representatives from the Community Service Sites in order to discuss juvenile attitude and progress.
School & Community
- Coordinate programs for school children and local organizations. Programs include fingerprinting, Kid Care, safety talks, career days and tours of the Police Department. The police department has a progressive school resource officer program that works closely with the Township Board of Education to ensure a safe and secure school environment.
Board of Education
- Meet with school officials on a regular basis to maintain a collaborative effort to protect and enhance the quality of the educational environment in West Orange.
Social Services Agency
- Meet with representatives from various social services agencies, both governmental and private, in order to maintain a productive relationship.